What is Ultrasonic Cleaning?
When a varying or pulsating voltage is applied to a “Piezo Ceramic Transducer“ at a frequency higher than 20KHz (ultrasonic frequency range), it leads to contraction and expansion of the crystal. If these vibrating transducers are bonded to a metal tank’s bottom or side, the metal surface starts vibrating creating sonic boom like explosions on the inner walls of tank. If the tank is filled with a cleaning solvent, it results in micron size vacuum bubbles in the solvent. The object to be cleaned is put inside the solvent. The bubbles strike the surface to be cleaned and displace any loose or external dust contaminants giving you a highly cleaned surface.
Phew! That’s quite technical for out of industry man to understand what Ultrasonic Cleaning is. Let’s try and put it in a simpler way. Ultrasonic Cleaning is a process where the surface of an object gets rid of any contaminants because of the scrubbing action provided by millions of vacuum bubbles in media resulting from bonded transducers vibrating at Ultrasonic Frequency (>= 20KHz). To give an analogy from our day-to-day life, it is the same action we do when washing dirty clothes.
Soak, Scrub, Rinse, Dry.
To make it simpler, we are converting Electrical Energy into Mechanical Energy to get parts cleaned up to least millipore value required by industry standards within time period of a few seconds to minutes.
Even though Ultrasonic Cleaning adds to manufacturing cost price, it is important to a manufacturer because:
- It provides uniform and thorough cleaning of any metal surfaces and makes them free from oil, dust, grease, soil, waxes, buffing compounds, grinding loose burs, etc.
- When your surface is 100% free of above mentioned contaminants, it readies your component surface for further process like plating, painting, coating, rubber bonding, sealing etc.
- A clean surface will always help you achieve the best quality end product. It will help increase the life of plating on surface.
- A clean surface reduces the time required for coating or plating of precious metal.
- Machine based cleaning ensures consistent cleaning results from start to end of day, which is not possible by hand wash.
- Using automated system for material handling, you can achieve higher production rates without compromising the quality.
And when you give the best Quality to your Customers, you just increase the business manifold. One time investment in Ultrasonic Cleaning will cater you for many years to come.
Where is Ultrasonic Cleaning used?
If you read about the various contaminants Ultrasonic Cleaning can remove, you can see a huge realm of manufacuring where it can be used. From Watch Strap to Watch Glass manufacturing, from Kitchen Ware to Arms and Weapons manufacturing, from Automobile Industry to Pen Making industry. Bearing Industry, PCB making industries, pharmaceutical industries, surgical component manufacturers can use Ultrasonic to give long lasting quality mark to their products. Imitation Jewellery, Real & Diamond Jewellery industry too can use ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning purpose.
In short, wherever surface cleaning, gap cleaning, pin hole cleaning, blind hole cleaning is required, you can use Ultrasonic Cleaning Systems. You can find more application areas here: Applications of Ultrasonic Cleaners
We at Meltronics provide you Ultrasonic Cleaners which are best in class, using internationally used technology of MOSFETs with Microprocessor Control. We always strive to give you the best suited designs for your applications so that you do not spend more on machines and electrical consumptions. We work hard to provide you the best solutions and along with best service.